The district of Tehri Garhwal stretches from the snow clad Himalayan peaks of Thalaiya Sagar, Jonli and the Gangotri group all the way to the foothills near Rishikesh. The gushing Bhagirathi which runs through, seems to divide the district into two, while the Bhilangna, Alaknanda, Ganga and Yamuna rivers border it on the east and west.
Its immediate neighbouring districts are Uttarkashi, Chamoli, Pauri, Rudraprayag and Dehradun. History has it that the King of Garhwal expressed his gratitude to the British for liberating Garhwal from the Gorkhas, by giving away half of his kingdom. Consequently, Pauri garhwal, including today's Chamoli and Rudraprayag (partly) district came to be called British Garhwal until India's independence in 1947. Tehri, at the meeting point of the rivers Bhagirathi and Bhilangna, became the new Capital of Tehri Garhwal, Srinagar having been the old capital.
Tehri town is situated at an elevation of 770 m and 84 km from Rishikesh. Tehri is situated at the holy confluence of Bhagirathi and Bhilangna rivers and is the important halting station en route to Yamunotri-Gangotri and Kedarnath-Badrinath.
|Population :-||6,04,608 (2001 census).|
|Area:||300 sq km|
|Climate:||Cold in winters and hot in summers.|
|Season:||Round the year.|
|Clothing||Summers: Cottons / light woollens.
|Languages:||Garhwali, Hindi and English|
|Air :||Nearest airport is Jolly Grant, 101 km.|
|Rail :||Rishikesk is the nearest railway station.|
|Road :||Tehri is well connected by road to Dehradun, Mussoorie, Haridwar, Pauri, Rishikesh, Uttarkashi, and other parts of the region.|
|Surkhanda Devi Temple|
|Chandrabadni Fair||Surkhanda Devi Fair|